March 27, 2016

Sunmaster 14: rims, rearsets and FCR39

Has it ever happened to you that you were close to finishing a bike, and a friend comes along and says something along the line "Looks great, but it would look even better with bla bla bla". It happens to me a lot. Thanks to those friends I'm back in front of the PC, searching, comparing and buying that mystical part that will make my bike stand out from the masses.

My latest acquisitions are a set of lightweight Akront  rims. In truth, they are not that much lighter than the OEM rims, but they look sooo much better.



Next, I got some nice Peyton Place rearsets for a very good price by bidding on a Yahoo Japan auction. They are substantially higher and set back than the SR500 foot pegs. In addition, I won't have to fold the right foot peg anymore when kickstarting my bike.




Finally (finally, really?), another crowning jewel....a Keihin FCR39 carburetor. Probably the most popular and highest performing carburetor an SR can wish for. This I got from Krishan at Trojan Cycles in Japan.




So, what is left to do?
The carb still needs to be tuned. The brushed aluminium seat cowl is nearly finished. The guys at The Sports are covering it with genuine leather. It took them 3 months due to their very busy schedule, but as with everything else they do, I'm sure it will be perfect and well worth the wait.

The final design on the fairing is something that gives me considerable headaches. I must have drawn a dozen variations, but none satisfy me completely. Actually....If you're an artist or graphic designer and feel like you can contribute to this build, feel free to contact me! :-)


No comments: