March 22, 2017

Warning: DORNA is out to get your money!

Today I would like to tell you what happened to me yesterday and to warn people in the same situation.

Here in Thailand, the MotoGP is covered by Thai television for free. During the last 2 months my TV experienced problems with reception. To keep watching the last 2 or 3 races of the season, I subscribed to motogp.com. Each subscription would cover the race and I believe test and qualifying sessions.

Yesterday I got an email from Paypal, saying that the dear Dorna automatically charged me 139.90Euros for the 2017 MotoGP races. I was very surprised (and quite upset), since I've never asked them to automatically renew my season pass. I logged in on the website and it turns out a little box was ticked that would allow Dorna to just take my money. Problem is, I've never ticked that box, nor have I been made aware of it, much less have they asked my permission o do so. Why would I, if I can watch it for free on TV?!?

My guess is, the 'Autorenewal' box gets ticked automatically whenever you buy a 'season end' pass, which is the last race plus several weeks after that. Quite sneaky if you ask me.

Next step, I opened a case through Paypal, asking for the cancellation of the subscription and a full refund. Honestly, I expected a lengthy back and forth and had little hope to see my money again. None of that!
After not even 5 minutes, I got an (automatic, they love that shit) email from Dorna, stating that the subscription had been cancelled and that a refund would materialize in the next 7 days.

So, if that happened to you too, go through Paypal and ask for your hard earned cash back.

No comments: