April 20, 2016

MOTO GUZZI V1000 G5

Ever since riding my brother's LeMans MKI, I've become a big Guzzi fan. The handling, the steering precision, that amazingly smooth engine with its cylinder heads coming up from below, just waiting for a pat on the head. And don't get me started on the sound...especialy if it's amplified by a pair of Contis.

Ahh Guzzi, mon amour!

But this post is not about my brother's LeMans. It's about my very own Moto Guzzi, specifically a 1981 V1000 G5. The 81 model is the second series, which differs from the first series for the cast alloy wheels and the black side bags.
The G5 is almost identical to the I-Convert, but has a 5 gear gearbox (hence G5) instead of the automatic 2 speed gearbox, and has conventional footrests instead of the floorboards of the Convert.



The story goes that I've been infected by the "Guzzite" and it has been lingering in my head for months. The fact that my brother just bought a much bigger garage to store the bikes, encouraged me to search the classifieds for my very own Guzzi. The smaller V35, V50, V65 were too small and the various modern Guzzis were too.....well, too modern.
My final choice was between a T3 (beautifully restored, but with over 100.000km) and an equally pristine G5 with only 37.000 original km. Needless to say, the G5 won.







What makes me write this post is the fact that in 5 days I will fly to Italy for my yearly holiday, and rarely have I been so excited to go home. So excited in fact, that I've planned a 5 day GuzziTour around north Italy and this is what I'd like to share with you today.


https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=ztuV0IqbfCPU.kQyE-NO73qiQ&usp=sharing


The first day will be the longest ride (274km) and a Guzzi triumph, with a visit to the Guzzi HQ in Mandello del Lario and the Guzzi museum. 5 minutes away from there is the Antica Officina B&B, where Carlo Guzzi, one of the founders of Moto Guzzi built his first motorcycles almost 100 years ago. Antica Officina, which translates to 'ancient garage' is now a B&B and a small museum.







The second day we'll ride about 170km to the Santuario D'Oropa, a monastery in the piedmontese mountains. We'll pass the night in Castello di Montecavallo, a farmstay/castle in the vicinity of Biella.

Santuario D'Oropa


Castello di Montecavallo






Day 3 will be another special day. It will start with a visit to Damanhur, a commune, ecovillage and spiritual communityThey gained fame in 1992 through the disclosure of their secret excavation of an extensive underground temple, the Temples of Humankind, which was begun in 1978 under complete secrecy. The Italian authorities ordered construction work to stop because it had been constructed without planning approval, although artwork could continue. Retroactive permission was subsequently granted. (Wiki)
The cherry on the cake will be a night in the famous and utterly beautiful Castello di Pavone.







D'Annunzio's abode
Day 4 we'll ride on the motorway for 250km to the Lake Garda to another farmstay and some relaxing hours on the banks of Italy's biggest lake.




On the last day, we're going to visit 'Il Vittoriale', a stunning estate of D'Annunzio, one of Italy's most famous writers, a poet, journalist, playwright and soldier during World War I.



5 days of riding, nice food, culture and spiritual renewal. I could be the best trip of my life or a giant flop. Reality might be very different, but this is the plan at least. Hopefully it won't rain (too much) and hopefully my trusty G5 will live up to its reputation of being a reliable touring bike.

Fingers crossed!



No comments: