April 23, 2015

Project TELOS completed!

2 years.

That's what it took to materialize in reality what started as a glimmer of my imagination. Project Telos was going to be my first build and at the same time a bike that could showcase many of the nice parts I have in my shop. Telos was supposed to become a clean and straightforward cafe racer, an honest and purposeful thumper.
I was completely absorbed by my idea and had no doubt whatsoever that one day I would realize it. Armed with the strong conviction that I was meant to build this bike, I soon developed a design and a parts list.
That was the easy part.

Photoshop is so last century...

At that time I already had an SR400 here in Thailand, so I didn't really need another one here. My idea was to find an SR500 in Germany, import it in Italy and then customize it there. Of course, building a bike in Italy might be a problem if you live almost 9.000km away in Thailand. Not so,...if you have good friends, and I'm lucky enough to say that I do. In addition, having a direct link to the best manufacturers in Thailand is also quite handy.

Dominik Tress (from TeileTress) in Germany was recruited to acquire the bike, while Thomas Branca and his wrenching friends agreed to take it upon themselves to put everything together. My part was to provide all the funds and ship the chosen parts from Thailand to Italy, including the beautiful custom made aluminium tank, the seat cowl and side covers, an exquisite aluminium swingarm and racing rearsets, as well as countless shiny bits and pieces. A fairing was also planned but later dismissed in favour of a more 'essentially naked' design.

The plan was soon set in motion. In January 2013 a suitable donor bike was found (1990 SR500)  and brought to Italy. Whoever had the chance to build your own bike, will surely know that however easy it might appear, there are always pitfalls and unforeseen obstacles luring behind every bolt. Project Telos had its fair share of them, but the Italian wrenchheads dealt with them swiftly and often creatively.




The word 'Telos' comes from the Greek τέλος for "end", "purpose", or "goal". I find it remarkable that Telos is now the result of a variety of people from 3 different countries, all working together with one common goal. Nomen est omen!


PS: Telos will be put up for sale shortly. If you want to be first in line, please write to info@omegaracer.com.













No comments: